Vice-chancellor of Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU) Suresh Gosavi constituted fact-finding committees for the two matters under management council member Rajendra Vikhe-Patil.
Sachin Korde-Patil, a senate member from Ahmednagar district, alleged that the department of technology’s head Aditya Abhyankar was involved in major irregularities to the extent of running bogus courses. He said this hurt the status of the university.
The department has signed MoUs with private institutes and companies. Through these MoUs, courses are run that have fees of lakhs of rupees, he said. “Hundreds of students are enrolled in these courses.”
There is no mention of these courses on the university website, yet the enrolled students are given rooms in the university hostel that by law are reserved for those studying in departments within the university. “The private agency takes 80% of the fees, while the remaining 20% is given to the university. This violates SPPU’s rules. We demand an inquiry be conducted and Abhyankar be suspended pending inquiry,” said Korde-Patil, adding that the report must be submitted within 15 days.
Meanwhile, Abhyankar denied all charges to TOI. “All MoUs are scrutinised. Only after approval are these executed by the HoD. As for fees, we do not fix it. There is a fee regulation committee for that.”
He said that fees of technology courses could not be compared with other courses running in the university. “It can only be compared to fees of other technology institutes run by the government – such as the College of Engineering Technological University Pune – for a fair idea.”
Abhyankar said it was untrue that the infrastructure to run these courses was bad. “One of the reasons we tie up with the industry is for better infrastructure. Also, the MoU committee scrutinises everything before giving approval. The allegations being raised are unfortunate.”
Senate member says
loopholes in audit report
Senate member Vinayak Ambekar raised questions about the audit report presented for the financial year 2022-23 to which registrar Prafulla Pawar promised the presence of an auditor in the next senate meeting to answer all the queries.