King Charles is expected to mark the first anniversary of the death of Queen Elizabeth II privately during his annual summer break in Scotland.
September 8 also marks the King’s ascension to the throne and he is due to spend the day “quietly and privately” at Balmoral, according to a spokesperson for Buckingham Palace.
The decision not to have a public event follows the Queen’s choice to mark the anniversary of her father George VI’s death in the same way at Sandringham.
The day will be poignant for the Royal Family and Britons as they reflect on the Queen’s 70-year reign and first year under Charles.
Prince William and Princess Kate will lead the nation’s tributes to the late Queen with sources saying they will use the opportunity to “look forward”. Plans are reportedly still to be decided on how the message will be delivered.
A royal source said: “Her Majesty’s passing was an event that truly signified the end of an era. The Royal Family has been in transition since then and following the Coronation and conclusion of the summer holidays, there will be an expectation to see what is next.”
Former royal butler to Charles and Camilla told The Independent last month that tributes to the late Monarch from the couple will likely be “behind closed doors”.
Get the latest royal news straight to your phone by joining our Whatsapp community!
He explained: “As far as whether something is done in terms of a tribute, I don’t think anything public will be done. It’s more than likely going to be behind closed doors.
“I think it’s going to be a day for the family to be a family, to reflect and remember. The King won’t be making any speeches on the day, they are a family that are private when it comes to these things. However, keep an eye out on their social media channels as this is likely to be where any tributes or memories are shared.”
So what do YOU think? Is King Charles right to mark the anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s death privately? Vote in our poll and leave your thoughts in the comment section below.